Buffalo Chicken Soup
by Rebecca Matheson Ortiz, Tastemaker in Residence
I currently am on the Atkins diet. Womp womp. Those “happy pounds” sure don’t put a smile on my face, so I went the route my family has had a lot of success with and picked the low-carb life, but because of this, carbs are essentially off the table for the next few months.
My usual favorite soup (Mom’s vegetable beef stew) is filled with starchy corn and potatoes and writing out the recipe would just be too much, so instead of leaving you with nothing but a dieter’s lament, I’ll leave you with a recipe to make a delicious bowl of low-carb buffalo chicken soup (original recipe found on the blog doughmesstic.com).
Low-carb or not, it's quite high on my list of excellent soups, thanks to its robust flavor and creamy texture.
6 cups chicken stock (homemade tastes best, but any will do)
8 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot buffalo sauce (or closest buffalo sauce you can find)
½ cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 rotisserie chicken – chopped
1/3 cup celery – chopped
Ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- Combine stock, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, milk, cream and butter in blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Pour into pot and heat on medium-low until simmering, stirring occasionally. Do not boil.
- Once simmering, add seasonings, chicken and celery.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, top with dressing and cheese.