Baked Cavatappi with Veggies
by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
1 lb cavatappi noodles
4 cups tomato sauce - such as marinara pasta sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups chopped spinach, sautéed
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini, sautéed
1 bulb thinly sliced fennel, sautéed
1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, sautéed (optional)
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 cup ricotta cheese
3 cups fontina cheese, shredded and divided
2 cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Boil pasta in salted water for 2-3 minutes less than label recommends to al dente, drain
- Bring sauce to boil, adding red pepper flakes, simmer 10-15 minutes
- Stir in chopped basil and parsley, then add veggies and mushrooms
- Brush a 4 qt baking dish with olive oil. Toss cooked pasta with sauce and half of cheeses
- Pour into prepared dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over pasta
- Bake uncovered about 15 minutes or until browned, let rest 15 minutes before serving
- Dish can be made ahead and gently warmed before serving.
- Great with grilled or sautéed sausages and grilled onions.