2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface, hands, and cutter
3 Tbsp sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Strawberry preserves, for serving
Softly whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until largest pieces are the size of small peas.
- Using a fork, whisk together the cream and eggs in a large glass measuring cup. Make a well in the center of flour mixture, and pour in cream mixture. Stir lightly with fork just until the dough comes together (do not overmix).
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. With floured hands, gently pat dough into a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch rectangle, about 3/4-inch thick. Using a floured 2-inch round cutter, cut out 8 to 10 rounds, and transfer them to lined baking sheet. Brush tops with cream, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake scones until golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes. Transfer scones to wire racks, and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with strawberry preserves and whipped cream.