Chyau Bodi Masala (Black Eyed Pea Curry)
by Rashmi Bhattachan, Gorkha Palace - courtesy of the Mill City Farmer's Market
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup black eyed peas soaked in hot water an hour ahead of cooking
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp grated ginger
5 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup water
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Chili powder - to your taste
Salt to taste
- Wash the mushrooms and black eyed peas first.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker.
- Add the garlic and ginger (you can add this later as well).
- Add onions, sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the black eyed peas and sauté for five minutes.
- While you’re stirring the black eyed peas, add the spices and salt.
- Then add tomatoes and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add water.
- Put the lid of the pressure cooker* tightly shut. Cook on medium to high heat.
- After ten whistles or so, you can either run the pressure cooker under cold tap water so that the lid will open quickly or just turn the stove off and push away all the steam with a wooden spatula.Then open the pressure cooker.
- Add the mushroom and stir for another ten minutes
- Add more spices or salt to taste
- Garnish with cilantro or chives
Cook’s Note *
If you do not have a pressure cooker; adjust heat to high and cook until the black-eyed peas open and are cooked throughout.