Key Lime Pie
by Mimi & Vera Levin, Tastemakers in Residence
It’s summertime and the weather is finally nice again. A long winter left us all cooped up inside, and it’s time to enjoy some fresh air with friends. Instead of rushing from work into a restaurant for a quick bite with your pals, why not take advantage of the longer and warmer days by making a picnic to enjoy outside? Rather than pre-made, store-bought goodies, spice up your picnic with your own fresh and simple summer recipes? Aannnnnd, to make it even easier (and more portable), how about putting everything into jars? Not only is this idea practical, but it is super cute for a girl’s night out?
We like Kitchen Treaty’s take on the recipe:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (18 crackers, or 2/3 of a sleeve)
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp granulated sugar
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 - 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (juiced key limes [you will need several], bottled key lime juice, or standard (Persian) limes [about three or four] all work
3 egg yolks
Lime wedges for garnish
Four half-pint (8-oz) mason jars
Four canning lids and rings
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Set jars on a baking sheet.
- Place graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and smash to crumbs with a rolling pin. Add to a medium bowl along with the sugar and pinch of salt. Stir with a fork until incorporated. Drizzle melted butter into the crumb and sugar mixture; stir with a fork until blended.
- Spoon graham cracker crumb mixture into each of the four jars, dividing evenly among the jars. Press very slightly into the bottom and up the sides, but don't compact the crumbs like you would a normal graham cracker crumb crust, or the crust will compact too much in the bottom of the jar and won't come up easily with a spoon.
- Zest one of the limes. Add sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, and lime zest to a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk until all ingredients are well-combined. Dividing the mixture evenly, filling into the jars.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the filling no longer jiggles.
- Let cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then cover with lids and bands and refrigerate for at least two hours, until chilled.
- To serve, top with whipped cream, a lime slice, and tall parfait spoons.
Grab your picnic blankets, its time to invite your girlfriends for a fun, new twist on dinner.