Iced Brandy Brownies
Recipe courtesy of South of the Fork, Cookbook
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp coffee
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
2 Tbsp brandy
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
3 oz semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp butter
- To prepare brownies: preheat oven to 325°. Grease 9x9-inch baking pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, combine coffee, honey, butter and chocolate Stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in nuts and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and brush brandy over hot cake. Cool completely.
- Spread icing over cake, smoothing the top. Chill until icing is set.
- Drizzle chocolate topping decoratively over icing and chill to set before cutting into bars.
- To prepare icing: In the small bowl of electric mixer beat butter. Add vanilla and gradually add sugar beating until soft and fluffy Spread over cooled brownies.
- To prepare topping: Combine ingredients in the top of a double boiler over simmering water and stir occasionally until melted. Drizzle over iced brownies.