Warm Ginger Molasses Skillet Cake
by Table 301, Soby's Tastemaker in Residence
Vanilla Ice Cream = Perfect Pairing
2 2/3 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Table Salt
4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1 1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
6 oz Butter
1 1/3 cups Molasses
1 1/3 cups Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 lb Butter, cut into 8 slices
Dark Brown Sugar
- For the Cake: Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside. Place the brown sugar, 6 oz butter, and molasses in a saucepan and heat until the butter is melted. Stir the sugar and butter mixture into the dry ingredient mix and add the milk and vanilla.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray eight 6 1/2 -inch skillets with cooking spray. Place a pat of butter, a teaspoon of brown sugar, and teaspoon of molasses in each skillet. Place the skillets on baking sheets and heat in the oven until the butter is melted. Remove the skillets from the oven and fill with the batter. Bake the skillets on the baking sheets for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with homemade Vanilla Ice Cream or your favorite.
- Pairing Suggestions: Vanilla-Bean infused Cognac, Tawny Port, or coffee. At Christmas, eggnog is the perfect indulgence.
- This recipe uses eight 6 1/2 inch cast iron skillets. The skillets are inexpensive and are available at www.amazon.com.