by Kimberley Thompson, Tastemaker in Residence
Happy National Caramel Corn Day!
20 cups popped yellow kernel pop corn
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup molasses
2 sticks butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups salted peanuts
- Place popped corn in large roasting pan.
- Bring brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses and butter to a boil in a heavy pan with high sides. Boil for 5 minutes, stir constantly. Stir in baking soda, it will foam up.
- Pour over popped corn and add salted peanuts. Then stir entire mixture until evenly coated.
- Bake at 250° for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes. Crack open the oven door by 1 inch for last 15 minutes.
- When done, pour out onto 3 parchment covered cookie sheets. Let cool and then store in covered containers or zip lock bags.