Maui Onion Deep Dish
Delicious with meat or chicken.
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp rice (preferably Italian Arborio)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3 1/2 lbs Maui or yellow onions, coarsely chopped
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
- Generously butter shallow 13 x 9 inch nonaluminum baking dish.
- Rinse rice thoroughly. Cook in large pot of boiling salted water 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Mix in cheese and cream, then rice, parsley, salt and pepper. Turn mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake onions until golden brown, about 1 hour.
Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover baking dish and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.