Cider, Bacon, and Golden Raisin Stuffing
A blend of whole grain and country breads gives this stuffing just the right deep, earthy flavor, while cider and vinegar-spiked golden raisins lend a few high notes. And the bacon? That's what makes it irresistible.
Try our triple crown of holiday stuffings; Cindi's Turkey Dressing - Bacon & Jalapeño Stuffing - Cider, bacon & golden raising stuffing.
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
1 (3/4-pound) loaf country bread, cut into 1/2" cubes (about 8 cups)
1 (1/2-pound) loaf whole grain bread, cut into 1/2" cubes (about 4 cups)
6 cups apple cider
3/4 cup golden raisins (about 4 ounces)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 lb thick-cut smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces
1 large head of celery, stalks chopped (about 3 cups), whole leaves reserved
2 Gala or Honeycrisp apples, cored, coarsely chopped
4 large shallots, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped thyme
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 1/4 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Butter a 13x9x2" baking dish.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Toast, stirring occasionally, until dry and crisp, 25–30 minutes. Let cool, then transfer to a very large bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring cider to a boil in a large wide pot and cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring raisins, vinegar, and 2 Tbsp. water just to a simmer in a small skillet over medium heat to warm through. Transfer to a small bowl; let cool, then drain.
- Cook bacon in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain (do not wipe out skillet).
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in same skillet over medium-high until melted. Add chopped celery stalks, apples, shallots, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 10–12 minutes.
- Add celery mixture, celery leaves, raisins, bacon, and parsley to bread cubes and toss to combine. Mix in reserved cider and 1 1/4 cups broth.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl, then stir into stuffing; add more broth if stuffing is dry. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing until cooked through and golden brown on top, about 1 hour.
Stuffing mixture can be prepared up until step before adding the eggs 1 day ahead; cover and chill.