Proof in the Pudding!
by Zehorit Heilicher, Tastemaker in Residence
Did you know that October is Cookie Month? As if Cookies NEED a specific month? Aren’t they an every month/week/day occurrence? Aren’t they “thinking of you”, “miss you”, “need a lift”, “worked really hard today-I deserve one”, “feeling blue or happy” kind of fixture in our lives? Speaking for myself – as a cookie lover, I am always on the lookout for cookie recipes: drop, cutout, layered, dipped, rolled – you name it – I have a cookie for every mood and every occasion.
Since some of my kids have moved away, I am in constant search for good care-package cookies. Like all cookies, they should have great flavor and texture, however they also need to stay moist and intact after 2-3 days in transit. My extensive search uncovered a relatively new cookie craze: The Pudding Cookie!
Yes, a relatively simple, ordinary cookie batter basks in the creaminess of widely available pudding mix and Voila! A tender, soft and cohesive cookie is born. These will last in an airtight container for about a week! Even better: no more dry and brittle cookie crumbs upon the package arrival, but a delicious soft cookie! And by the way, if you choose to keep a few for yourself – I promise I won’t tell!
Imagine the endless possibilities for the different seasons: Pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookie (one of my personal favorites), Butterscotch cookies, peppermint chocolate fudge cookies and so much more!!
Below is a collection of some of my favorites with links to their recipes.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Soft Butterscotch Chip Pudding Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pudding Cookies
- Butterscotch Molasses Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Pudding Cookies
- Root Beer Pudding Cookies
- Sweetheart Raspberry Pudding Cookies
- Peanut butter-Choc. Chip-Banana Cream Pudding Cookies
- Coconut Lime Pudding Cookies
- Samoa Pudding Cookies
- Root beer Cookies: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/11/root-beer-pudding-cookies/
- Samoa Cookies: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/11/root-beer-pudding-cookies/
- Pumpkin Choc. Chip: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/10/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-pudding-cookies/
- Butterscotch: http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/05/butterscotch-chip-pudding-cookies.html
- Chocolate Peppermint: http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/chocolate-peppermint-pudding-cookies/