Panzanella with Ground Cherries
by Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence Recipe by Market Chef Jenny Breen
16 Sun Gold tomatoes, halved
20 small husk cherries, husks removed, rinsed, and halved
1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
6 slices ciabatta or rustic Italian bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
2/3 cup Tomato Water, or vegetable stock
2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 cup freshly picked herbs, such as, mint, basil, tarragon, chives, and oregano, chopped
1 cup grated parmesan, asiago or similar cheese
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Place tomatoes, husk cherries, and onion in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to combine and set aside.
- In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, until lightly browned. Add bread and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until bread is crisp, about 12 minutes.
- Add bread to bowl with tomatoes, along with tomato water and vinegar; toss to combine.
- Let stand, occasionally tossing to evenly saturate, until liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add herbs and toss to combine; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and cheese, if using, and serve immediately.