Hitting Home Runs
By Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
The MLB All-Star Game is one of the biggest parties of the season. This year it’s heading to my hometown of Minneapolis, MN on July 15th. For this baseball crazy family, we would love to be able to join in the fun at Target Field, but cha-ching$$$ on the tickets! So, like most years, we will be doing our favorite All-Star Game tradition and setting up a carpet picnic to watch the ballgame on TV. Invite friends and let the fun begin. If the party gets really big you can move it out to the yard and project the game on a white bed sheet for that “big screen” feel.
How do I a plan an All-Star picnic party that hits home runs:
- Order or go to a party store to get some fun baseball inspired decorations. You can always theme it to your favorite team too!
- Make sure each guest wears a fun baseball cap (set out some extras for those who forget)
- Set up fun games in the yard, deck, or other rooms of the house. My family loves: bean bag toss, ladder golf, Jenga®, and whiffle ball practice net hitting.
- Since I want to watch the game too, I set up snack and beverage stations, so guests can help themselves and bring their goodies to the picnic blankets.
What are at my stations:
- Mocktail and Cocktail set ups (see one of my favorite recipes below)
- Hummus, Dips, and Chips (see a fun recipe below)
- Salad in a cup (Check out my video clip for some fun recipes)
- Slow cooker with brats and hot dogs
- Build your own deli sandwich
Mocktail Recipes (these would work as cocktail set-ups too):
Watermelon Strawberry Cooler (Makes 2 approximately 8 oz drinks)
4 cups cubes watermelon
1 cup strawberries
1/2 peeled lime
6 mint leaves
splash of mineral water
- If you have a juicer: Throw watermelon, strawberries, and lime in the juicer.
- If using a blender: Blend the watermelon, strawberries, and lime until smooth. Then strain through a sieve, pushing juice with a spatula. Keep juice and discard solids.
- Muddle mint leaves on bottom of glasses. Add ice. Add 2/3 juice. Add 1/3 mineral water.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
Sparkling Rosemary (or Lavender) Lemon-Lime
1 cup fruitwater® lemon-lime beverage
Sprig of Rosemary or Lavender
- Add all ingredients to festive glass.
Chipotle sweet potato hummus (Makes 4 cups)
1 pound sweet potatoes (roughly 2 medium)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp chopped chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce
1 garlic clove chopped
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tahini
Course sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly, then peel and add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add chickpeas, lime juice, tahini, olive oil, chipotle and garlic.
- Puree until smooth and thin with up to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and season with pepper.
- Garnish with additional olive oil and smoked paprika before serving.
Raspberry and Coconut Sparkle
1 cup coconut water
1 cup raspberries
3 Tbsp of agave nectar or organic sugar
- Add all ingredients to a small pitcher and serve on ice.
More ideas can be found at: www.nutrition-up.com