4th of July Floral Fireworks
by Ardith Beveridge, Tastemaker in Residence
Fourth of July is the perfect time for the traditional all American Picnic. There must be flowers on the table. There may be one main table with the food, with many places to set. This design covers it all. You may place all three designs on the food table or main picnic table, or place them on several smaller tables.
Tools: Sharp knife/Oriental Sheer
1/3 block wet floral foam
6 red spikes
Flowers and foliages:
5 stems larkspur
2 stems blue thistle
5 Gerbera Daisies
2 stem Salal
1. Measure, cut and wet 1/3 block of floral foam (Oasis) in fresh water with flower food, place it in the container
2. Insert white larkspur in the center of the foam coming out as fireworks. Add the red spikes to the center.
3. Add green around the base of the design with small pieces of salal
4. Place 5 Gerbera in the design, copying mine or do your own design.
5. Add thistle for color and texture
6. Place a flag if you choose.
Design #2 Traditional Red Geranium Plant----You may make one or many for your guests to take home.
Plant: Red Geranium plant
1. Keep the plant in or remove it from the original pot
2. Place the plant in the decorative container
3. Push the soil around to secure it in.
4. Water plant
5. Add decorative accents as flags
Design #3 Explosion
Tools: sharp knife
Fresh water with flower food
Flowers and grass:
1 stem thistle (optional)
2 stem Larkspur (optional)
1 bunch Explosion Grass
1. Fill vase with fresh water with flower food
2. Cut grass to desired height
3. Place stems of thistle around the base
My favorite tradition with flowers is giving them to friends and family when invited to their home or meeting someone for lunch. Flowers are always a lovely surprise. It can be a single yellow rose for National Friendship Day (August 3, 2014), or a sweet bouquet for luncheon meeting.
Be cleaver and creative. Let your local florist help you with some unique offerings every day of the year.