Belly Bloat is No Joke
by Christina Meyer-Jax, Tastemaker in Residence
Summertime and swimsuit season are in full swing.
That puts the 1 in 10 Americans suffering from belly bloating on even higher alert for managing digestive related issues. A rule of thumb is that digestion should not hurt! Looking like you had a "food baby" after consuming your meals should not be standard operating procedures.
I had an opportunity to discuss some causes and solutions to belly bloating on FOX 9 news recently. Taking in these tips can help you both look and feel better.
Chipotle sweet potato hummus
1 pound sweet potatoes (roughly 2 medium)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce
1 garlic clove chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini
Course sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly, then peel and add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add chickpeas, lime juice, tahini, olive oil, chipotle and garlic.
- Puree until smooth and thin with up to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and season with pepper.