Make the Most of the Market
by Bridget Levin, Tastemaker in Residence
Farmer’s markets are opening up across the country as the crops begin to come in and there are ways to make the most of your visit.
- Allow enough time. Whether it’s finding a parking spot, deciding to have breakfast at the market or realizing the stalls are full of delectable fresh foods, leisurely browsing contributes to the joy of a market visit.
- Talk and tour. Talk with the farmers and look through the whole market before deciding on your purchases. Otherwise, you’ll always find that special item right after you buy the first thing you see.
- What to make? Ask the purveyor or farmer for new recipe ideas and bring one of your own to share next week!
- To market, to market. But a wonderful market bag or basket. Check out vintage finds or one of these great options: the LOCAL bag at Neiko or splurge at Sac á Baguette at thekitchn.com.
- Try something new every week. You’re bound to find some new favorites by the end of the season.
- Volunteer. Sign up to staff the information booth, set-up or take down. You’ll open yourself to inner workings of the market.
- Learn the crop calendar. Buy and eat in season for the freshest foods in town.