Sweet Potato Almond Skordalia
by Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence
This is delicious to dip vegetables in as well as a spread for crackers or bread.
6 cups Sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed in to 2 inch pieces
1 1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Almonds, roasted or raw, sliced or slivered
3 cloves Garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar (or another vinegar, or lemon juice)
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- Cook the prepared sweet potatoes in a saucepan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Strain out extra liquid (save for later, for a soup)
- Put everything in the food processor and puree until very smooth, then stir in fresh parsley.
- If using whole almonds; soak overnight in water; chop, coarsely before putting in food processor
- Eden is a great brand for Red Wine Vinegar
- When chopping vegetables use the stems at the end of the leaves or set aside in a bag for a great vegetable soup.