Egg Scramble With Vegetables and Grains
by Brenda Langton, Tastemaker in Residence
This is a great way to use leftover grains, such as brown, jasmine, and basmati rice, as well as quinoa and others.
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2-3/4 cup Cooked rice
1/2-1 cup Broccoli, chopped small, or other vegetables such as thinly sliced carrots, squash, cauliflower, leeks or other greens, like Kale.
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil or Sesame Oil
- Beat eggs with 1 Tbsp of water and salt in a small bowl.
- In a small sauté pan, heat oil, vegetables, and 1 Tbsp of water; cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add rice and 1 more Tbsp of water. Cover and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Now, add the egg and stir for a few moments over low heat, then turn the heat down further and cover and cook for about a minute until the egg has set.
- When you add the eggs you don’t want a high temperature
- Varying the grains provides a unique flavor to pop out every time.
- Grain choices might include: Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat - Jasmine or Basmati Rice
- This boost our protein profile; especially if we make a pot of grains a week.