Quarterback Sneak "Vegie Chili"
by Mike Moore, Tastemaker in Residence
This year, I am taking a healthy approach for the Big Game! After working hard in January to lose a few from the holidays, it seems a crime to add it back on just for one game. Trust me, I would love to dive into a crock pot of "cheese product" and dip for delight. I test drove a veggie chili recipe and it I must say it's not bad for somebody who loves a good meaty chili. I don't claim this recipe to be vegan but, I am sure the vegan fans will know how to adjust if needed. Even if you are not watching the game, this chili makes the extra point.
- 1 Sweet Large Potato Cubed
- 3 Large Carrots Diced
- 4 Celery Stalks Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Bunch of Green Onion Chopped (for garnish)
- 1 Avocado Sliced (for garnish)
- 1 Jalapeno Seeded & Diced (keep seeds if you want it hot)
- 6 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped or Grated
- 1/2 Cup Tri-Colored Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup Farro Grains
- 2 Cans Black Bean Rinsed
- 2 Cans Kidney Beans
- 1 Jar of Salsa (any kind)
- 2 Cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Chopped Kale
- 1 Can Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Molasses
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar or Agave Nectar
- 1 Bottle of Stout or Porter Beer
- 2 Tbsp. of Sea Salt (less is ok)
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Chile Powder (less or more if you like it hot or not)
- 1 Tbsp. Dark Cocoa Powder (good for layering flavors and it is good for you)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large crock pot and cook for at least 6 hours on medium to high heat.
- You may need to adjust moisture level based and cooking time upon your crock pots temperature settings. To add moisture just add more beer or chopped tomatoes.
- I recommend adding bell peppers and kale within the last 2 hours to keep a little crunch in place.
- For the best results try cooking at a high heat for 3 hours and the final 3 hours at medium heat.
- Garnish with chopped green onion, shredded cheddar cheese, avocado and dollop of plain Greek yogurt.