Chocolate Caramel Ice Cream Dessert
by Vicki Brunsvold, Tastemaker in Residence
Ingredients & Instructions
1.5 qt softened ice cream of choice
Crust: 10 oz crushed Oreos
1/4 cup melted butter
- Mix together and reserve about 1/2+ cup to sprinkle over top of dessert
- Press into bottom of 9X9 pan
- Freeze crust while preparing chocolate caramel
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup heavy cream
4 oz Bittersweet chocolate (Ghiradelli’s 60% Cacao), chopped
1 tsp vanilla
- Melt butter and add sugar, cream, and salt, bringing to boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped chocolate and vanilla, stirring until smooth and melted.
- Pour over chilled crust.
- Gently spread softened ice cream over cooled chocolate caramel layer.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Freeze until firm - overnight or several hours.
Cook's Note: For the Holidays, use a seasonal ice cream such as Kemp’s Candy Cane. Other times of the year, it would work well with Peppermint Bon Bon.