Italian White Bean & Sausage Soup
10 cups chicken broth
6 medium sausage, sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. sage, crushed
2 tsp. rosemary, crumbled
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 can (15oz) diced tomato
3 cans white beans
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrot
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot.
2. Sauté the onion until translucent then add garlic and sauté lightly.
3. Add sliced sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
4. Add sage and rosemary and thyme then season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant (a couple of minutes).
5. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add beans and vegetables and bring to a gentle boil.
6. Reduce heat to low and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes on low heat.
7. Taste the vegetables, if soft and cooked through, soup is ready!
Ladle into individual bowls. Sprinkle a little crumbled sage on top. Serve with a crusty bread and tossed salad for a full meal.