Chocolate Glazed High Holiday Honey Cake
by Zehorit Ashbel Heilicher, Tastemaker in Residence
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 c. sugar, divided
- 1 c. honey
- 1 c. fresh orange juice
- 1 T. orange zest
- 1 c. oil
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. ground cloves
- 3 c. all purpose flour
- 2 T. baking powder
- 1/4 c. brandy
- 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint whipping cream, or Rich whipped topping
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Place into mixer bowl the egg yolks, 1-cup sugar, the honey, orange juice, oil, cinnamon and cloves. Mix well with whisk attachment on medium for 2 minutes. Slowly add the flour, baking powder and brandy and whisk for 4-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl with clean whisk beat egg whites with 1/4-cup sugar to stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into honey/yolk mixture.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 10'' tube pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Rest on rack for 10 minutes and then invert onto cooling rack and cool completely before glazing.
- Place chocolate and cream in a glass bowl and microwave on low for 2 minutes or until melted and whisk until smooth. Pour over cooled cake and let glaze cool before serving.