Spanish-Style Pheasant with Rice
Recipe courtesy of Jared Allen - The Quarterback Killer's Cookbook
1 cup bacon diced
1 white onion, diced
3 Roma tomatoes, cored, chopped, seeded
2 bell peppers, sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cups water
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3cups Arborio rice
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, halved
- Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven, add pheasant, bacon, onion, bell pepper and garlic, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- When the pheasant starts to brown, add the rice and stir until it starts to toast.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until pheasant is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, add herbs and juice of lemon.
- Gently drizzle top with extra virgin oil and serve hot.