Hamburger Cookies & Cream Cheese Icing
by Cindi Sutter, Founder of The Spirited Table
Teamwork and tasting is essential!
- 1 c. flaked coconut
- Green, yellow & red food coloring
- 1 batch Cream Cheese Icing (below)
- 1 package vanilla wafers
- 1 package chocolate mint cookies
- 1 T. water
- 2 t. light corn syrup
- Sesame seeds
- Combine 1 cup flaked coconut and green food coloring; until it reminds you of lettuce. Set aside. In 3 separate bowls mix about 1/2c. of white icing with red, green, and yellow food coloring.
- Spread about 1/2 t. of white icing onto flat side of a vanilla wafer. Top with a mint-flavored cookie, pressing GENTLY to show icing around edges.
- Spread about 1/2 t. of red icing and 1/2 t. of yellow icing on the flat side of a second vanilla wafer and top with green coconut. Press on top of the chocolate cookie gently pressing to show red, yellow and white icing all around.
- Mix 1 T. water and corn syrup; brush lightly over the top of cookie (don't overdo this or the cookie will be soggy); sprinkle with sesame seeds, and let glaze dry.
- Repeat with the remaining icing and cookies. Makes about 3 dozen.
- Keebler Grasshopper Fudge Cookies preferred.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 oz. unsalted butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar (add more for desired consistency)
- 2 t. vanilla
- Beat on highest speed till fluffy.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living 2000 - Annual Recipes